Sunday, October 18, 2009

New Mexico Sand Dunes

The Umbrella at White Sands National Monument



New Mexico White Sand Dunes


(Painting from trip made to White Sands Monument in September)



In September I was invited by a friend to go to New Mexico for a week to paint. We took one day to travel to the White Sands National Monument close to Alamogordo. What a spectacular place! When we were on the boardwalk we saw a couple in front of us who had this great umbrella in primary colors. It was such a contrast against the sand. What a picture! An unknowing person might see that image and believe the couple was at a beach somewhere. It was kind of surreal. For a while I enjoyed the dunes, the wonderful contrasts of white against the background of sky and blue mountains, the unusual dessert flora with wind eroded patterns, but I decided I was thirsty......my friends did too. We were glad to have bottled water and a car awaiting us to leave gracefully from the strange beauty of that terrain. It was also good to know that we could be directed to find a way out! I would not want to get lost for very long there! I'm glad we went.





1 comment: